The First Spark
A post on Facebook about dating got me thinking. That is sometimes a dangerous thing for me – thinking, not dating. Dating is good for me as long as the date is with my husband. And that is the only person I date, so I’m good there.
After reading the post, my mind wandered back and I thought of those times I was out on a date and my heart fluttered. This is the reason I love to read and write YA. I love to be transformed back to a simpler time when everything was new and I was less cynical. I believe that many of us crave that feeling of first love.
For me, it always started with that first spark. I didn’t need anyone to move mountains. It was always the sweet little things that made my heart race:
- When your fingers accidentally touch.
- When he opens the door on his side of the truck so that you will sit in the middle next to him.
- When you are getting a piggy back ride in the middle of a parking lot while it is raining and you swear it is the spark between you that sets off the thunder.
- When he pushes the hair out of your eyes so he can take a closer look.
- When he offers you a cherry sucker but the taste of the fruit is from his lips.
- When he writes your name + his name in the snow.
- When the instant message on your computer pops us and it’s him on the other side of the country wanting to talk to you. (Okay now it’s a simple little text message)
- When he can dance. I mean really dance and he takes you in his arms and you do that Cowboy Cha Cha thing at the county fair.
- When you get ice cream and then go to the swings at the park and he holds your hand while you sway back and forth.
I would love to hear about your first spark.